Image of music score for "Old McDonald Had A Farm". Image created by M. Grayburn.
Compare lines one, two, and four. What do you notice?
Look at the third line. Is it difficult to play?
Remember - you are now playing with two hands. Keep both hands in playing position at all times.
Using proper articulation (tonguing) allows for you to play your notes longer and fill all the space, leaving silence only where there are rests.. This is especially important for repeated pitches. Remember this, especially on line three!
Click below for a recording a recorder playing Old McDonald Had A Farm with the accompaniment.
Click below for the accompaniment for Old McDonald Had A Farm.
Click below to download the score, as shown above, for Old McDonald Had A Farm.
Click below to download a score for Old McDonald Had A Farm that will help you to learn the letter names of the notes.
Click below to download a score for Old McDonald Had A Farm that will allow you to write in the letter names of the notes. You can write all of them in OR you can just write one in occasionally to help you.
See if you can learn the the animals in Italian by listening to this version sung in Italian.
Video of "Old McDonald Had A Farm" being sung in Italian with cartoon images of the animals.
Video from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCndRG2A12M
Have you ever seen an accordion? It looks something like a small piano. Watch as the performer moves the wind box back and forth as he plays. Can you figure out why?
Video of "Old McDonald Had A Farm" being played on an accordion.
Video from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsc1GmQiX0
- Have I learned to read the low D?
- How did my group do in learning "Old McDonald Had A Farm"?
- Did I use proper articulation, especially when playing the repeated pitches?
- Did I keep my right hand in playing position throughout the whole song?
- What did I learn?
- Have you completed your recorder test with your teacher?
- Don't forget to download and turn in your self-evaluation form.
Interactive Fingering Chart from http://www.musick8.com/rkdojo/rkchart.php
Extending the Learning
- Create a short instructional video for how to read and analyze the music score for Old McDonald Had A Farm.
- Create a short instructional video for how to play Old McDonald Had A Farm on the recorder.
- Write alternate lyrics for this song. Your lyrics can be about anything you want them to be about. You might even consider creating lyrics to help you learn about something from another class!
- Find another song that goes well with Old McDonald Had A Farm.
- Draw or paint a scene of a farm.
- Research an animal that lives on a farm to see how this animal provides income for the farm.
- Create movements for each of the animals in the song.